Where is the Salkantay snow-capped mountain located?
The Salkantay snow-capped mountain is located in the Vilcabamba mountain range, in the province of Soraypampa, Anta, at an elevation of 6264 masl, being one of the most important snow-capped mountains in the Cusco region.
Difficulty in Salkantay Trekking
The level of difficulty is high, so it should be taken into account that it is necessary to have a good physical condition to do this tour, as well as it is better if you already have previous experience in similar activities in mountaineering and trekking.
Best time to do the trekking tour to salkantay
The best season to visit the snow-capped mountain is between May and August, since it is the dry season in the city of Cusco, and since there is no rain, the roads are in better condition for trekking.
Height of Salkantay snow-capped mountain
The snow-capped mountain is located at an elevation of 6264 meters above sea level and is one of the most important snow-capped mountains in the Cusco region. Due to its elevation, the predominant climate is frigid polar, with an average temperature of 1.5ºC throughout the year.
Altitude sickness during the Salkantay Trek
Altitude sickness refers to a series of symptoms that the body presents when there is a change in altitude due to a higher atmospheric pressure and a reduction in the level of oxygen in the environment. This generally occurs when exceeding 2800 meters above sea level and is more frequent in people living in low altitude countries or at the same sea level.
The most frequent symptoms are dizziness and disorientation, nausea and vomiting, muscle pain and headache, tiredness, difficulty breathing.
To reduce the symptoms it is very necessary to spend at least 2 days of acclimatization in the city of Cusco before trekking in Salkantay.
What to take when trekking salkantay
- Wear comfortable thermal clothing, snow gloves, hats and/or sunglasses,
- Trekking poles
- Shoes suitable for snow trekking
- A lightweight backpack to carry personal items, avoid carrying extra weight unnecessarily.
- Snacks for the road and plenty of water, it is important to stay well hydrated during the trip, as this helps to reduce the effects of the well known altitude sickness.
- The scenery that you will be able to contemplate during the hike is truly dazzling, so remember to bring your cameras with recharged batteries.
- Finally, do not forget to take with you your personal documents, as well as extra cash, preferably in local currency (soles).
Children can do the salkantay tour.
The Salkantay trek is of a high level of difficulty so it is recommended for people over 12 years old. Likewise, it is not recommended for those who suffer from any medical condition of the heart and/or lungs, or for pregnant women.
Itinerary summary of the Salkantay trek 5d / 4n
The classic tour to know Salkantay is the circuit of 5 days and 4 nights, in a long walk through the Andean snowy mountains to change to a much more tropical climate reaching the jungle of Machu Picchu.
- DAY 1: CUSCO - MOLLEPATA - SORAYPAMPA - HUMANTAY LAKE
- DAY 2: SORAYPAMPA - SALKANTAY PASS - CHAULLAY
- DAY 3: CHAULLAY - ROSALINAS BEACH - LUCMABAMBA
- DAY 4: LUCMABAMBA - LLACTAPATA - AGUAS CALIENTES
- DAY 5: AGUAS CALIENTES - MACHU PICCHU - POROY - CUSCO
- Private transportation from your hotel in Cusco to the starting point of the trek in Challacancha.
- Covered entrance tickets to Salkantay and Machu Picchu
- Tourist train tickets from Aguas Calientes to Poroy station in Cusco.
- Pick up and transfer from Poroy station to your hotel in Cusco.
- Quadruple camping tents (4 persons per tent)
- Matras or mattresses
- Support personnel that will accompany you with the respective camping equipment, kitchen and equipment for the hike.
- First aid kit, oxygen tank, oxygen tank
- Includes 4 breakfasts, 4 lunches and 4 dinners at no additional cost (in case you are vegan or vegetarian, please let us know in advance so that we can bring the necessary supplies).
- CONSETTUR tourist bus tickets round trip for the visit to Machu Picchu from the town of Aguas Calientes.
Recommendations for the salkantay trekking tour
- It is necessary to spend at least 3 days of acclimatization in the city of Cusco before visiting the snowy Salkantay, during these days you can do some other activities or tours to help you adapt better to the altitude.
- To make the ascent in Salkantay it is important not to overdo it, everyone goes at their own pace, allowing the body to adapt little by little to the change in altitude.
- It is advisable to do the tour in Salkantay through travel and tourism agencies that will provide you with the mountain equipment you will need during the tour, as well as provide a guide specialized in mountaineering and high altitude trekking activities, trained in first aid and rescue.