The Church and Convent of Santo Domingo of Arequipa, is a building belonging to the colonial era of Peru that was declared a National Heritage Site in 1958.
Table of Contents
According to the historical reports of the Church and Convent of Santo Domingo, it is mentioned that in 1544 the Dominican vicariate of Arequipa was elevated to a convent, all under the patronage of the patron Saint Paul the Apostle, directed by the provincial chapter of the Order of Arequipa.
With adobe walls and tile roofs of a single nave, they were the first constructions of the temple, since the earthquake of 1582 completely destroyed the building of that time. Later, the members of the order together with the parishioners returned to work on a second church that was completed in the 17th century.
In the case of the side doorway of the church of Santo Domingo, its ornamentation is still complete, having been built for more than 30 years.
This religious monument is located on the corner of Santo Domingo and Pierola streets, just two blocks from the Main Square of the city of Arequipa.
The Convent of Santo Domingo is a monumental beauty because it exhibits a colonial architecture with a combination of different trends, this one presents:
To visit the Church and Convent of Santo Domingo of Arequipa, you must take into account that the entrance to the church is free every day of the year with the following schedule: